Professor Gillian Stewart of EES and Queens College coauthored a paper entitled, “Temporal variability of dissolved iron species in the mesopelagic zone at Ocean Station PAPA” in the Journal of Marine Science.
- • A dissolved Fe enhancement in the mesopelagic zone of the NE Pacific was observed.
- • The anomaly was also evident in Fe(II) distribution with depth.
- • Aerosol deposition from Siberian forest fires is the likely cause of the anomalies.
- • Dissolved Fe at the surface was at background levels.
- • There was no evidence of a phytoplankton bloom.