DescriptionA research position as a Post-Doctoral Research Associate in Seismology is available in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Tulane University in New Orleans, beginning as early as May 2019. The position is a full-time, 1-year appointment with the potential for extension into a second year. The successful applicant will undertake crustal imaging using new and existing passive seismic data from rift zones with and without magmatism in East Africa and New Zealand. She/he also will assist in field data acquisition in Kenya and data archiving. She/he will contribute to a vibrant research team, and train graduate students in the use of receiver function methods. Please contact Dr. Cynthia Ebinger directly at 504-862-3201(office phone), or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for any questions regarding this position.
QualificationsREQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- PhD in Geophysics necessary at time of appointment
- Minimum two first-author publications in geophysics journals and experience working with international research teams.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES TYPICALLY NEEDED TO PERFORM THIS JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
- Ability to program using python, C++ or Matlab, and to write shell scripts for SAC
- Experience with crustal tomography or receiver function analyses
- Ability to deploy and service broad band seismometers, and to archive data for analyses
- Strong signal processing skills.
- Experience with seismicity and receiver function analyses
- Experience with ambient noise and arrival time tomography