Are you interested in transforming education? Do you believe great teachers can make a difference not only in the lives of children with unanswered potential, but in the formation of our education system and its future?
Eskolta School Research and Design, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization based in New York City that helps educators reinvent schools to promote meaningful learning. Eskolta was launched in 2010 by a team with extensive background in public school reform. Its focus on turning around the dropout rate addresses one of the most critical problems facing public education today, and one that is gaining increased focus at the national level. To support our work during the 2017-18 school year, Eskolta is seeking talented and creative graduate students or recent graduates to be a School Equity Fellow. Fellows will have the opportunity to work closely with Eskolta’s program and communication staff in different areas based on their background and interest. Please indicate which projects best match your interest and skill set (you are NOT expected to have experience in all 3 areas).
- Statistical analysis and data science. Ideal candidates should have experience with large datasets, cleaning/presenting data, and regression analysis. Sample project: complete a research project studying a topic in school improvement, support for underserved students, or issues of equity and justice in public schools.
- Writing and communications: Ideal candidates should be strong narrative writers and have experience in non-profit communications (including Twitter). Sample project: study innovative New York City schools to develop a series of written articles and social media posts that communicate Eskolta’s work to transform public schools, support underserved students, and promote educational equity.
- Qualitative research. Ideal candidates should have experience running structured and semi-structured interviews, drawing insights/themes from these, and reporting findings, as well as observing and take low-inference notes.
Fellows are paid a $1,000 monthly stipend over the 5-month fellowship. The School Equity Fellowship is a 15-20 hour per week commitment from January 15 to June 15, based in New York City. It is open to current and recent graduate students.
Diversity at Eskolta
We value diversity and believe that different perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences lead to deeper understanding and better approaches to our work. As we continue to grow as an organization, we aim to build an environment that reflects the diverse backgrounds of the communities we work with. Eskolta is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status or sexual orientation.
To apply, send your resume, a writing sample (based on the instructions below), and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are due by November 30, 2017.
Writing sample instructions:
- If you are applying for the statistical analysis and data science Fellowship please submit a writing sample with tables and/or graphs that includes an analysis/interpretation.
- If you are applying for the writing and communications Fellowship please submit a writing sample highlighting your strong narrative writing ability.
- If you are applying for the qualitative research Fellowship please submit a writing sample that demonstrates your ability to conduct and write about qualitative research.
EMAIL: email@example.com to apply