*Academic Support/Internship coordinator*
*Department of Ecosystem Science and Sustainability*
The Department of Ecosystem Science and Sustainability
<http://warnercnr.colostate.edu/ess-home> is the fastest growing
undergraduate program on campus. We seek an Academic Support/Internship
coordinator to contribute to undergraduate student advising in the
Ecosystem Science and Sustainability and Watershed Sciences majors and to
oversee internship programs for undergraduate and graduate students. This
person will work closely with the students, faculty, and administrative
support personnel in the department.
The person filling this position is a key figure in the department’s
commitment to providing students with the assistance, guidance and
resources necessary to be successful. The primary functions of the ASC, in
collaboration with department faculty and staff, are to foster successful
transition to the university environment by students in their initial
semesters, promote discipline awareness to help ensure appropriate choice
of major, foster student engagement with faculty advisors, mentors and
other student services at critical points, place students in appropriate
internship positions, and promote timely graduation. Reflecting
departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the
ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
This position will embrace the mission of the department and facilitate its
programs. Applicants must have advising experience and experience working
with diverse student groups. The successful applicant must have a positive
attitude, and an ability to get along well with students, faculty and
staff. The applicant must also have a strong work ethic, a willingness to
serve in a broad variety of roles as needed, and dedication to the mission
of the department.
Essential to the job is a proven ability to facilitate multiple projects in
a highly organized manner. The position requires a dedicated professional
with good judgment, strong interpersonal and communication skills, who is a
team player and able to pay close attention to details. The individual
should demonstrate a capability to provide multiple levels of support for
the advising and coordination needs of the department. The individual must
demonstrate creativity, leadership, and the skills needed to work
successfully with diverse groups. Experience in working collaboratively
with teams is desirable.
This person will report directly to the Department Head. Specific job
– Work with ESS advising team to advise new, existing, and potential
students on degree requirements/course selection, university resources, and
– Assist with transition issues for first and second year students and
provide outreach and intervention to students of concern, in
collaboration on cross-campus student interventions where appropriate
– Contribute to delivery of Orientation and Ram Welcome for incoming
first-year and transfer students
– Participate in the Warner Academic Support Coordinator network and
cross-campus Professional Advisors and Academic Support Coordinator
– Support development and delivery of co-curricular activities (living
communities, undergraduate research, student organizations) to
retention. Engage students with faculty at points where detailed,
discipline-specific knowledge and perspective will best address student
· Create a short-term and long-term plan for timely graduation,
customized to that student’s needs and goals.
· Maintain student records including DARS, counselor comments, and
individual records associated with each student’s progress through the
program of study.
· Understand and meet the professional obligations of FERPA.
Internship and Career Building
· Build potential employer database with WCNR Career Services
Employer Relations staff and best practices
· Develop internship resources and opportunities for students
· Engage with employers to establish value of internships to increase
intern offerings and connect employers with CareerRam
· Accentuate postings for sustainability internships and jobs through
networking and individual visits
· Develop and conduct presentations to educate students on job and
internship strategies based on employer interviews and outreach
· Provide reporting on contacts with employers, research on potential
positions in the field, workshop attendance, and student tracking.
Master’s Degree in related field; experience in advising and mentoring
· Demonstrated expertise in academic advising.
· Experience in developing and delivering internship/employment
· Advanced knowledge of University processes, and student and faculty
· Commitment to diversity and outreach with a strong ability to work
with a diverse staff, student body and University community.
· Excellent ability to promote a culture of support to students,
faculty, and staff.
· Problem-solving and analytical skills.
· Exceptional organizational abilities. Strong communication skills,
both written and oral and the ability to maintain positive relationships.
· Ability to handle multiple tasks, prioritize tasks and respond
effectively to last minute requests.
· Strong ability to exercise considerable initiative, independent
judgment and discretion.
· Knowledge of MS Word, Excel and ARIES/RAMweb.
*Salary*: $40,000-$50,000, dependent upon qualifications/experience
*APPLICATION PROCEDURE*: For full consideration send cover letter, resume
and three references by October 26, 2014. Apply at
will be accepted until the position is filled. References will not be
contacted without prior notification of candidates.
For questions regarding the position, please contact Dr. Matt Wallenstein
at email@example.com <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is
free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color,
religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran
status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, or pregnancy. Colorado State University is an equal
opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to
achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado
State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination
and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101
Colorado State University is committed to providing a safe and productive
learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background
investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment.
Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history,
national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.
*Academic Support/Internship coordinator*