Director, All-In Cities Initiative (position located in Oakland, CA)
Salary commensurate with experience
This position, available immediately, is an exciting opportunity to join the staff at PolicyLink. PolicyLink is a national research and action institute that works to advance policies at the federal, state, and local level to achieve economic and social equity by Lifting Up What Works®. Please visit our website at: www.policylink.org.
We are seeking a dynamic leader to successfully implement the All-In Cities initiative (www.allincities.org), an effort to support cities in implementing new models of inclusive growth and development at a time when many American cities are experiencing an economic revival, but this rising economic tide is not translating into good jobs, living wages, and ownership opportunities for their low-income residents and communities of color. The initiative provides capacity-building and policy development and implementation support, data and policy tools, and strategic research to local governments and community organizations/coalitions as they develop and implement a range of solutions to increase racial economic inclusion and foster equitable growth in cities and metropolitan regions. This position is an excellent opportunity for a social entrepreneur who is passionate about cities and equity to build out an initiative that is just getting off the ground and eager to work in a creative, fast-moving, start-up environment.
The Director will be responsible for:
- Initiating, managing, and coordinating the team’s place-based engagements (in partnership with community leaders working inside and outside of government) that implement the All-In Cities policy framework and related private sector, capital, and systems-change strategies that advance inclusive growth.
- Developing a methodology for assessing community readiness for engagements and using the findings of that assessment to develop a suite of offerings (bootcamps, trainings, webinars, office hours, etc.) to build capacity for inclusive growth.
- Implementing the policy research and communications strategies for the initiative, including the production of relevant research that advances the theory and practice of inclusive growth, and the development and maintenance of an online policy toolkit.
- Supervising and collaborating with other team members and consultants to deliver high-quality products and strategic support in a timely manner and effectively add value to locally driven change efforts.
- Bringing a results-based framework and discipline to the overall initiative and its place-based engagements.
- Collaborating with national networks and partners working to advance inclusive growth, economic justice, and racial equity in cities.
The initiative Director will report to the Director of Equitable Growth Initiatives and work closely with senior leadership in developing the team’s strategy and activities and ensuring synergy with other teams at PolicyLink. Equipping city leaders with actionable data and metrics is a key strategy of the initiative, and the Director will work closely with the National Equity Atlas team at PolicyLink and the University of Southern California Program for Environmental and Regional Equity to produce relevant data and analyses to support the initiative.
- Experience in urban planning and development, economic and business development, and place-based initiatives, including substantive experience in an area of inclusive growth practice (e.g., targeted employment and workforce training efforts, entrepreneurship and small business development, cooperatives, wage and job standards, etc.). Minimum 10 years of professional experience.
- Advanced degree in urban planning/policy, public policy, economics, or related social science.
- Ability to continually refine and evolve the vision for this multiyear initiative and select strategies to implement that vision.
- Understanding of how to advance equitable growth strategy and policy in diverse market/political contexts.
- Ability to frame the economic case for equity and inclusion and facilitate productive and action-oriented dialogue on addressing racial inequities with communities ranging from very progressive to moderate.
- Experience developing and implementing inside/outside strategies that integrate work with leaders inside and outside of government and other power structures.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of community partners, including high-level officials and CEOs as well as grassroots activists and community-based organization leaders, facilitating them to select policy goals, then launch and sustain collective action to achieve them.
- Proven project management and event-planning skills and ability to meet aggressive deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience writing for publications for a broad audience, and demonstrated public speaking and presentation abilities.
- Willingness to travel regularly (estimated one to four trips/month) and able to maintain team and organizational connections from afar.
Send Cover Letter and Résumé to:
PolicyLink – Director, All-In Cities Search Committee
1438 Webster Street, Suite 303
Oakland, CA 94612
Fax to 510-587-1113 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (include subject line: “[your name] (Director, All-In Cities Initiative–Oakland). Position open until filled.
Please note: No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Excellent benefits including paid vacation, health, vision and dental insurance, and 401(k) retirement plan.
PolicyLink is committed to maintaining a diverse, multicultural working environment.