The position will involve high pressure-temperature experimental studies of geological materials using laser spectroscopy, single-crystal X-ray diffraction, diamond anvil cell and large volume press techniques. The minimum qualification for this position is a PhD in Geosciences, Physics, Materials Science or a related field and 3 years or more experience in high-pressure
experiments by the start date of appointment. Preferred qualifications include experience with electron microscopy, working with graduate students, postdoctoral associates, and PI and have a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
The expectations of the postdoctoral researcher include:
- Participation and leading the experiments both at UNM and at synchrotron facilities
- Publishing peer-reviewed papers by collaborating with supervising faculty
- Mentoring and teaching students in/out of the laboratory
- Seeking funding opportunities as PI or co-PI
- Participating in the teaching outreach activities at UNM and local high schools, as well as high-pressure community activities, including COMPRES workshops and meetings.
To apply please go to www.jobs.unm.edu, req8676. Please attach a cover letter, a CV including a list of publications, and contact information for three references. For more information, contact Jin Zhang at email@example.com.
The University of New Mexico is the largest and most comprehensive of the state’s institutions of higher education and is both a Carnegie Very High Research University and a federally designated Hispanic-Serving Institution. Located in Albuquerque, the largest metropolitan area in the state, UNM features a growing campus that reflects the cultures and diversity of the Southwest and fosters an excellent work and learning environment for its faculty and students. For more about Albuquerque, visit https://advance.unm.edu/why-abq/.
University of New Mexico is an equal opportunity employer/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- PhD in Geosciences, Physics, Materials Science or a related field
- 3 years or more experience in high-pressure experiments by the start date of appointment.
- Experience with electron microscopy
- Experience working with graduate students, postdoctoral associates, and PI
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
- A cover letter, a curriculum vitae including list of publications and contact information for three references.
For more information, please contact PI Jin Zhang firstname.lastname@example.orgApplicants who are appointed to a UNM faculty position are required to provide an official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to their initial employment with UNM.
For Best Consideration
For best consideration, please apply by 9/1/2019. This position will remain open until filled.